One of the most important parts of our body that adds to our looks and enhances our personality is our hair. Almost everyone loves to pamper their hair and many of them want to add a bit more color and sheen to their luscious locks or the dazzling spikes. Of course, it is an understood thing that you want the best quality hair dye from the best brand out there if you are thinking of coloring your mane. But have you ever worried about the chemicals used in a hair dye that might leave you with a hair dye allergy? The scary part is that most of us do not think about it as much as we should!
The hair dye industry has had an astounding year and has seen more than $500 million turnover. But are these hair dyes good for you, even if they belong to the top international brands? Most hair dyes contain a harmful ingredient that can cause severe hair dye allergy to many people and could even lead to death. Read along to know more…
1. Para-phenylenediamine (PPD), the culprit
Para-phenylenediamine (PPD), is present in almost every hair dye, but the level of concentration is much higher in the darker shades. This ingredient is added so that the hair can be shampooed after coloring without causing the color to fade. There are numerous cases of people suffering from a hair dye allergy due to PPD.
Tabatha McCourt, 17 year old and a British citizen collapsed and died in 20 minutes after applying hair dye in 2011. Just a couple of months later, Julie McCabe, 38 years old, also from the UK, had difficulty in breathing after applying the hair dye. Even though, she was rushed to the hospital, her heart stopped on the way and she remained in coma for a year and ultimately passed away in November 2012.
2. Allergic reactions to PPD
Some of the allergic reactions to PPD include scalp burning, red rash and severe swelling of the entire face, eyes, and scalp. If the allergic reaction is extreme, it can lead to anaphylaxis, and when untreated immediately, it can even prove fatal.
3. Anyone can be allergic to PPD any time
Although PPD is banned in France, Sweden and Germany, it is still used in both U.S. and the U.K. Even though the manufacturers urge you to do a patch test 48 hours prior to actual coloring, it may not always indicate a prominent allergic reaction.
Anyone can become allergic to PPD at any given time. Even if people have been using a particular hair dye their entire life, they might experience an allergic reaction. This is due to a cumulative effect that enables the chemical to keep building up in the body, until it becomes toxic.
Not only hair dye, but temporary henna tattoos can also trigger an extreme allergic reaction to PPD. The important thing to remember and follow is to always check for PPD in your hair dye or temporary tattoos.
4. Choose wisely and follow the instructions
The instruction on the hair dye pack recommending a patch test isn’t there for the sake of covering the empty space on the pack and instruction leaflet! It is super crucial to do a skin patch test every single time when coloring your hair (EVERY SINGLE TIME).
You can also completely avoid PPD by opting for hair dyes sans this ingredient. There are various options available in the market. Just remember that in the desire to add some color to your hair, enduring hair dye allergy because of PPD is totally not worth it.